MQM: Business Analytics
My Program Track:
Why I Chose Fuqua
One of my friends was a Fuqua student of the Class of 2020. He shared a lot with me about the Fuqua program, the Fuqua community, and the people at Fuqua, which I found very interesting. I began thinking a lot about attending. In addition, Duke's and Fuqua’s reputations also attracted me to the school. Many of the Fuqua admissions activities helped me learn more about Fuqua, and the more I learned, the more interested I became.
I have had internship experiences in the asset management industry and the accounting industry. Then I worked as an accountant in a group company. Through these experiences, I learned how important data analytics skills are—they can really make your work much more efficient and effective.
I plan to become an internal auditor in either a technology company or an asset management company. I’m most interested in these two industries based on my understanding of them through my previous experiences. I really enjoyed the working atmosphere I experienced during my internships. What I’ve learned about forensics and internal auditing in the forensics track of MQM program solidified my interest.
5 Things to Know About Durham
- Durham seems small and not as prosperous as other cities—but you will find it more interesting and comfortable to live in than you think.
- You can go shopping for many different things you want at Southpoint, a big shopping mall in Durham.
- Downtown Durham has many small, specialty shops with unique and beautiful goods. Go and explore there!
- H-mart (an Asian grocery store) is the supermarket I like most in Durham. If you like shopping or just walking around in a supermarket, don’t miss it.
- The downtown Durham library is a quiet and good place for reading or study.
My MQM Track
The Forensics track teaches useful skills that you can apply to your work. These courses include accounting foundations, fraud detection, and data analytics. The professors are all experts in these fields and have diverse experiences and outstanding achievements. I have enhanced my financial reporting knowledge from my track courses, and also learned more about occupational fraud, the detection process, and relevant investigative actions. Using the data skills I learned in forensics, I will be able to approach analyzing fraud from data at a higher level.